Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chore Chart...CHECK

I have been wanting to create a "chore chart" for Amelia for about 3 weeks now.  But somewhere between school, gymnastics, ballet, and the normal house stuff I managed to keep it on my To Do List for nearly a month.  Finally, this morning I decided that I was going to get it done, no matter what I had to do...or not do.  I dropped Amelia off at ballet and Maddox and I headed over to Michaels (with a 40% off coupon, I might add.)  I picked up the supplies, grabbed Amelia and we headed home.  As soon as lunch was over, I told the kids that Mommy needed some time to finish (and start) a special project.  They were given these instructions..."Do whatever you want but no fighting and no crying."  And that is exactly what they did.  Maddox used every marker in the house to write on the walls and himself...even his forehead!




Amelia literally climbed the walls and furniture. And they both successfully destroyed the basement.




 But after a a couple of hours, this is what I came up with....and Amelia approved!!


It's almost impossible to call any of these tasks chores.  I mean brushing your teeth is just basic hygiene but it's a struggle around here so it made the list.  Along with feed George, pick up toys, and set the table.  And the great thing about the chart is it works...or at least it did tonight.  She wanted to brush her teeth at 4:00pm.

When I became pregnant with Amelia, she became very clingy and only wanted me to put her to bed.  Sixteen months later, she is still wanting only me...So I came up with the idea to alternate nights with Drew.  Amelia can move the moon every morning so she knows who is putting her to bed that night.


The kids and I attended a baby shower a couple of weeks ago and in my friend, Laura's thank you note, she mentioned how well behaved Amelia and Maddox were.  I wanted to find a way to reward her for special things like that, so I added a "Naughty" or "Nice" box. 


For every deed worthy of a reward, Amelia is allowed to move one "little stick girl" to the Nice box.  When she fills it up, she gets to choose from 5 different rewards.  And I'm happy to report the Nice box has 1 already;)
I guess at this stage in the game, it's the little things, that make me feel happy.  Finally, a chore chart for Amelia...and a house that needs to be cleaned!

No comments:

Post a Comment