Monday, February 28, 2011

Mountain Mama

I'm so blessed to have good friends.  And even more blessed that two of my best friends are my mom and my brother, Matt.  (Tyler, I love you, too. ...and I'm sorry that I will forever play the role of  your "second mother") But after almost 17 years of friendship, I don't think I have ever told my bestie, Carri, exactly how awesome she is.  I met Carri Dawn in the summer of '94.  We were both trying out at UK and were attending summer work outs.  I think it took about 2 days for us to become inseparable.  We lived in different dorms on campus, but you wouldn't know it.  Somehow we slept in the same room every night.  We met each other's families and visited each other during the summer.  We lived together our sophomore year and 2 more years after that.  We survived many finals weeks and breakups and new boyfriends and family tragedies and national championships and all nighters and spring breaks and well, everything really.  Carri was the maid of honor at my wedding and we were even pregnant at the same time.  Amelia and Sophia are only 2 weeks apart:)  And our sweet little boys are very close in age, too.  We are now both stay at home moms and sell Premier Jewelry.  I talk to Carri about 5 times a week and am so thankful for unlimited cell phone minute plans.  Now that the back story is out of the way, just let me describe this 4 foot 11 1/2 inch ( yes, the half inch matters) spit fire. 


First and foremost, she is funny.  There is just no other way to say it.  When I'm with Carri, my stomach hurts.  All we do is laugh.  She has a way of saying things that make me do the "snort" laugh.  She is fun!!...and I mean like, "this should be illegal I'm having so much fun" fun. She's loud and singing and dancing all the time!!


 She also dresses fit to kill and thankfully I can wear her size.  Doesn't really help me now because we live so far away from each other but boy, in college, it rocked!!  And she's so awesome at fixing my hair.  Everyone needs somebody that can fix their hair!!!  Whats even cooler, is now she can fix Amelia's hair, too!


She loves my kids and my husband.  (She actually had a hand in Drew and I getting together).  She never fails to ask about them and talks about my kids like they are her own.  If I go more than 2 days without talking to her, I get messages like "I'm getting worried" or "call me ASAP."


While I had 2 awesome brothers growing up, I always wanted a sister.  August 1994, I met her.  She is loyal, trustworthy, and the best secret keeper ever.  Doug, her husband, works in the coal mines in West Virginia and oh how I wish Lexington had coal.  But until then, we will continue as we are.  Long distance best friends, sisters actually!  So here's to you Mountain Mama!  Hope we have 50 more years of this friendship.  Love you!

1 comment:

  1. wow! so great to hear about your wonderful friendship - that's awesome! it was SO great to see you this weekend, sorry we didn't get to talk more :)

    ReplyDelete