Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Golf Anyone?

When I was little, Mom and Dad would take us kids to Nashville every summer.  We LOVED it.  We did Opryland 2 days, stayed at the hotel and swam, went to the movies, shopped and played mini golf.   So, it seemed like the perfect place to take the kids for a long weekend.  We went to the Adventure Science Center, the zoo, and would you believe we stumbled upon Grand Ole Golf .... the exact same course I played on as a child.  As soon as I saw the sign, I knew we were going.  We were packing for home on Monday morning and I casually mentioned we should stop there on the way home.  As soon as we pulled in, I looked at the thermostat in the car and it said 93.  Should have driven right on by but I simply couldn't resist trying to recreate this memory of mine.  We got the kids out of the car and Amelia asked, " Do they have chairs on this course or do I just have to sit in the field?"  Another red flag.  I just pretended I didn't hear it.  We got our clubs, our balls and the scorecard with that adorable baby pencil.  We picked a course and off we went.  The first hole wasn't that bad.  Amelia's form was like something I have never seen and was in no mood to be corrected so you can imagine how successful she was at getting the ball into the hole.


She became frustrated and played hole 2 and 3 like this....



In her defense, Maddox was crazy.  Every time a ball was left alone for a second, he would pick it up.


Holes 4 and 5 were surrounded by water, and let's just face it, they were way to difficult for our crew so we headed on to hole number 6.  This is where it all went downhill.  I heard screaming and crying and when I turned around, Amelia had thrown her club and was lying flat on her back on the green.  Maddox was up to no good again and she couldn't take it.






Game over at hole number 6.  We were hot, crying, thirsty, tired, frustrated and just ready to go home.   I can safely say that no one had one ounce of fun...except for me.  Although it didn't go as planned, we did it and I was satisfied.  The next day I asked Amelia if she had fun on our trip.  Her reply, " I loved everything except golf."  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment