Friday, August 5, 2011

Amelia and her Monologues

I have always said that Amelia doesn't speak in sentences, she speaks in paragraphs.  Lately, she has been giving these monologues that I don't ever want to forget.   Sometimes, I even refer to them as lectures because all you can do is listen.  She leaves you no room to comment, ask questions, or laugh. 

Amelia has been wanting us to paint a mural on her wall.  I have been pushing for sea creatures while Amelia is begging for dinosaurs.....

  "Mom, I'm sorry that you have a daughter obsessed with dinosaurs.  I don't know why no one likes dinosaurs anymore.  I'm not asking for alot, just small dinosaurs on the wall with a big T Rex above my bed.  I know it hurts your feelings that I don't want sea creatures but I'm just a girl who loves dinosaurs."

Amelia was having a particularly cranky afternoon yesterday.  After a brief discussion on attitude adjustments, this lecture followed....

"Mom, I know that I am cranky.  It is probably because you don't make me take a nap anymore.  I try to change my attitude but I don't know how.  Sometimes, I just feel like crying.  I'm sorry if that gives you a headache but now I can't stop crying.  And now Maddox is crying and it is all my fault.  Can you tell me how to change my attitude now?"

I understand that just reading this doesn't do these speeches justice.  But I just need enough to trigger my memory.  For then, I am sure I will remember the tone of her voice, her hands on her hips, those huge blue eyes looking up at me and that sweet little face meaning every word she is saying.  I am going to miss these monologues. 6 more days until Kindergarten....I may not make it through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment