Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mothers can take a personal day, right?

I had Amelia 4 and half years ago and since that day, I have not stopped. There will be no pictures in this entry for I am somewhat embarrassed about what I am going to admit. It happened last Saturday. We got up around 6:00 am, thanks to Maddox. Breakfast, playing and then cleaning. We were preparing for a play date at our house when the phone rang. "Hello...okay...sure....no problem...sounds good then..we will just get together tomorrow." As soon I said those words I knew exactly what I was going to do. I was taking a personal day. I told noone. I just walked upstairs and got in the bed. I slept through lunch and naptime for the kids and loved every minute of it. I heard the kids playing, fighting, and sometimes crying but Drew seemed to have it under control....So...I stayed in bed. No shower, no lunch, no responsibilty. Everything seemed so perfect that I thought Drew could easily manage dinner and bath time so I closed the door and back in bed I went. I heard through the baby moniters that the kids were asleep so I felt completely content staying put. What a day! It wasn't a day out with the girls or a spa day or a shopping spree but it was my day. I didn't do anything spectacular...I watched somewhere around 10 episodes of King of Queens, caught up on Oprah's farewell season and even played a little solitaire. No one called me Mama, or asked me to kill a spider, or fill a sippy cup full of juice. I deserved that day and I'm so glad I took it. Drew was quiet on Sunday and I kinda thought he was mad at me but I later found out he was simply exhausted. He's watched the kids before, many times, but never without me preparing everything for him. I didn't thaw anything out for dinner or lay pjs out for the kids. I didn't tell him where Maddox's medicine was or where to find Amelia's blanket. The laundry hadn't been done and the dishes were not washed. Sunday night, he admitted that he was completely surprised how exhausting it was. So two things came out of my personal day...a little relaxation for mama and a little realization for daddy!! I have already decided in another 4 years, I will be taking another one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment